Shortly after moving in Georg Händel had applied to his Prince and Administrator, Duke August of Saxony, for the renewal of the right to sell wine, from time immemorial a privilege of the house, and this was granted on 8 January 1668. But the city fathers of Halle objected to this and the resultant legal proceedings dragged on until 1682, when a settlement was reached. After Georg Händel’s death in 1697, the property passed to his widow and children. Georg Friedrich Händel, who had been born in 1685, lived here until his departure for Hamburg in 1703. In 1708 the northern part of the property (today Kleine Ulrichstrasse 38) was detached when Handel’s sister, Dorothea Sophia, who had married the lawyer Dr. Michael Dietrich Michaelsen, set up her own household there. About the middle of the 18th century this separate building passed out of the hands of the Handel family. From 1844 to 1871 a family called Schütz used it as a students’ hostel. From 1888 it was an inn managed by a certain Trautwein and was called the “Schützei”. Some older Halle residents know the building by this name even today. In 2000 this separate building had to be knocked down because it was completely infested with dry rot.